Intro for those who are new...

Welcome to my blog which shows you some of the interesting and crazy things I found in Japan. Sometimes they might seem offensive, other times tacky but mostly you will get a good laugh and an interesting story. If you have never been to Japan or if you live there, there is always something new to discover.

In this blog I don't mean to criticize or look down on another culture. I am simply expressing how I feel and what I see when I come across things. Also, though the title says 'Only in Japan' in no way am I saying that the following things are exclusively found in Japan (though that may be the case for certain things). It is more of a thought to myself whenever I see something I didn't expect.


Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Samurai fights anime!

Old meets new in Japan
What the hell is this? Are you telling me there are real Samurai's fighting real life characters from Anime? Well, kind of.  For those of you who don't know much about Japan or who are American (just kidding) let's get things straight. Japan no longer has real life Samurai. That is an actor. And anime characters aren't based on real life people. Those are just cos-play fans.

This photo was taken in Kyoto at a theme park called Eiga-Mura which means Movie Village. It is the Japanese version of Universal Studios I guess.  The park looks like a replica of an old Japanese town with people dressed as locals, farmers, fishermen, Samurai and even ninjas. There is even a Godzilla in the pond.

The samurai walk around and take pictures with people. This one just happened to be taking a picture with 3 teenagers who dressed up like their favorite manga characters. I was lucky enough to be watching and grabbed a shot.

Kyoto is famous for temples and shrines but if you are looking for something a little more light and touristy then Eiga-mura is a fun way to kill an afternoon. They even have live shows filming in the studio and a cool "How to shoot a ninja" scene show.

Only in Japan...

No comments:

Post a Comment