Intro for those who are new...

Welcome to my blog which shows you some of the interesting and crazy things I found in Japan. Sometimes they might seem offensive, other times tacky but mostly you will get a good laugh and an interesting story. If you have never been to Japan or if you live there, there is always something new to discover.

In this blog I don't mean to criticize or look down on another culture. I am simply expressing how I feel and what I see when I come across things. Also, though the title says 'Only in Japan' in no way am I saying that the following things are exclusively found in Japan (though that may be the case for certain things). It is more of a thought to myself whenever I see something I didn't expect.


Monday, April 11, 2011

Pop the cherry (blossoms)!

Cherry blossom attack
Besides Mt.Fuji and Sumo, the typical person who knows very little about Japan also envisions those pink flowers the Japanese love so much.  Though it is stereotypical, it is true. The Japanese love Sakura. So much so they decide to wake up early in the morning, reserve a nice spot under the sakura trees by placing their tarp on the ground and spend the whole day getting drunk and singing.  This sakura viewing picnic party is called Hanami.

Why is it such a big deal? Well, the cherry blossoms are found all over Japan, bloom late March or early April and only last a couple of weeks before the petals fall to the ground and blow away.  It represents the beauty of life and how short it is. It also is a beautiful sight that should be shared with all.  More than a tree, the sakura represents the celebration of life and death.

Because of the earthquake the government has recommended this year people should avoid having Hanami parties for the respect of those that have lost loved ones or have themselves been lost.  I respect and understand this idea. However, I also see the other side where people want to rebuild, move on and enjoy their lives because much like the sakura flowers, it is gone too soon.

Whatever your opinion, no one can doubt that Japan and the Japanese will always celebrate their sakura tree and feel it is a part of their country's foundation. No other culture in the world loves the sakura tree as much as the Japanese.

Only in Japan...

1 comment:

  1. I do love this time of year. So beautiful!

    http://blog.korea.net/?p=2531

    A recent article I wrote.

    ReplyDelete