Intro for those who are new...

Welcome to my blog which shows you some of the interesting and crazy things I found in Japan. Sometimes they might seem offensive, other times tacky but mostly you will get a good laugh and an interesting story. If you have never been to Japan or if you live there, there is always something new to discover.

In this blog I don't mean to criticize or look down on another culture. I am simply expressing how I feel and what I see when I come across things. Also, though the title says 'Only in Japan' in no way am I saying that the following things are exclusively found in Japan (though that may be the case for certain things). It is more of a thought to myself whenever I see something I didn't expect.


Thursday, April 28, 2011

Got Mascots?

Every ninja town needs a frog?
The mascot for McDonald's...Ronald MacDonald. For KFC...Colonel Sanders. For Michelin Tires...the tire guy. That is pretty much about it. When you see ads on television or the newspaper in North America you see the brand name. You also see a logo. But very few products or services have a mascot. Many kids items do in fact have mascots (ie Tony the Tiger) but that seems to be the end of it.

Not in Japan. Here, there is a mascot for everything. For restaurants, stores, train lines, theme parks, shopping malls, tourist attractions, magazines, hotels, government agencies and even funeral homes. The picture above is a small theme park made to look like an old fashion town with ninjas, samurai and everyday folk. Even here, the mascots were a samurai dog and worker frog.

Why are these mascots necessary? My theory is a) they want to be able to sell souvenirs of the mascot to make money and b) to connect an object with a personality.  Japanese people love giving inanimate objects features to make it look more human or animal like. A box with a cute face or a robot with facial features. Everything looks more kawaii if it can be humanized.  Sometimes it is cute, other times annoying but always interesting to see how they can create the most random creatures to represent consumerism.

Only in Japan...

No comments:

Post a Comment